Friday, February 27, 2009

I Got The Blues

Muddy Waters
Son House

I've been reading "Can't Be Satisfied: The Life and Times of Muddy Waters" that my brother Mark gave me for Christmas. It's been a great read so far, shedding light on the flawed man behind the legend, finding out about his influences, learning who played on what song, etc. I got into Muddy Waters like many people in the 60s did: via bands like the Rolling Stones. The first time I ever heard Muddy was "Missippi Muddy Waters Live," an LP loaned to me by my uncle Gary. I'd never heard anything like it; then I bought the LP "Hard Again" and I was hooked. This led me down the path of discovering Howlin' Wolf, Little Walter, Buddy Guy, and John Lee Hooker. Reading this book has led me to start listening to people of whom I'd read, but not heard: Charlie Patton, Son House, Robert Johnson, Bukka White. This is some powerful music, and it's hard to overestimate the influence of all those who came later. I'm going to post some youtube clips of some great performances of some of these artists; watch for yourself and see if it moves you.

No comments: